- Up to 10 times more polyphenols than raw garlic
- Features a water-soluble form of allicin for greater bioavailability
- Great source of superoxide dismutase (SOD), a potent antioxidant
What is Swanson Kyoto 100 Percent Natural Japanese Aged Black Garlic?
Garlic, that odorous, pungent, palate stinging bulb that for some of us forms the cornerstone of every dish we cook, while for others it simply ruins them. Much like coriander we all have a relationship with Garlic in its culinary capacity, positive or negative but recently we are starting to recognise the nutritive benefits of it too.
Black Garlic is made by naturally fermenting whole bulbs of fresh garlic in humidity-controlled rooms for almost a month. The heat causes the enzymes to naturally ferment the bulb and after a further period where the garlic is allowed to oxidise in a clean room, it turns black in colour, sweet and balsamic in flavour.
Great, if you want to cook with it but what of the health benefits? To understand that, we need to know a little more about Garlic in its raw and unfermented form. Garlic belongs to same genus of vegetables that includes leeks, chives, onions and shallots (allium).
It is blessed with a great number of phytonutrients that behave harmoniously to engender positive and healthy results in your body. After all, raw garlic contains Magnesium, Phosphorous, Selenium and Vitamins B6 and C.
What makes it really special is its allicin ingredient. A potent antioxidant, Allicin has been linked with many of garlic’s health benefits. Unfortunately though, Allicin is also an incredibly unstable element.
Fortunately for us, that’s where Swanson Kyoto 100 Percent Natural Japanese Aged Black Garlic steps in.
What is Swanson Kyoto 100 Percent Natural Japanese Aged Black Garlic used for?
Perhaps the most amazing aspect of Garlic fermentation is the way it actually unlocks and even creates new nutrients within the bulbs. The one in particular worth talking about is a sulphur compound known as S-allyl-cysteine (SAC).
- SAC is more stable than Allicin
- Water soluble, so it has superior bioavailability and absorption rates to Allicin.
- Possesses the same enhanced antioxidant as Allicin
What’s great about this is that Swanson Kyoto 100 Percent Natural Japanese Aged Black Garlic can offer you similar but superior health benefits to its unfermented predecessor.
- Activates other antioxidant enzymes – Such as quinone oxidoreductase, glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase
- Scavenges toxic free radicals – Including hydrogen peroxide, superoxide, hydroxyl, peroxynitrite radicals, as well as singlet oxygen and hypochlorous acid.
- Inhibits pro-oxidant enzymes at source – Such as xanthine oxidase, nitric oxide synthase, cyclooxygenase and NADPH oxidase
Bring Swanson Kyoto 100 Percent Natural Japanese Aged Black Garlic’s ancient and all natural fermentation technique into your diet and enjoy superior immune health for longer and with far greater benefits.