You may start feeling the onset of a cold and can act on this quickly, but the flu can strike suddenly and could take you a couple of weeks to fully recover. So prepare yourself this winter by choosing to take a supplement throughout the season, to give your immune system the optimum support to help fend off these tiring and miserable infections:
- Vitamin C is a highly recommended supplement in boosting your immune system and helping to alleviate some of the symptoms of colds and flu.
- Echinacea helps to kill off viruses by stimulating the immune system.
- Zinc also supports the body’s natural defences and may stop a cold in its tracks.
- Elderberry may help to reduce symptoms and length of infection.
- Garlic is useful if you regularly develop a bacterial infection such as bronchitis or sinusitis, as it could help to prevent bacteria from infecting the tissues.
- Ginseng for its antioxidant properties and is thought to stimulate the immune system to produce ‘killer T cells’ to destroy the infection.
- Active hexose correlated compound or AHCC which is a fermented mushroom extract and has a similar effect in activating white blood cells to attack viruses and infections.
Vitamin C works throughout the body as it enhances immunity, reduces the symptoms of colds, and speeds up the healing of wounds.
A trace mineral that is needed for the immune system.
Scientists are increasingly turning to mushrooms to help with a variety of ailments; their antioxidant properties have long been known but their true potential is only just being realised.